Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Running out of time

For quite some time now, it has been a recurring thought at the back of my mind (and yes, also in front!) that I am running out of time. I know, I know, some of you might say we really all are running out because we lose time as each and every moment passes by. But lately, this notion has been a persistent presence. 

I admit it is the reason I made the decision (with my husband of course!) to finally buy a house and lot. I felt at that time that I am not getting any younger and if I didn't get that house, it's possible my husband and I would grow old homeless or perhaps, living with one of our sons. Not that I am already envisioning a difficult relationship with my future daughters in law. It's just that I know they would also want to experience being on their own without me meddling in their affairs. Same goes for me and my husband, I guess. 

It's also the reason why we hurriedly bought a replacement car. I felt my sons are growing up fast (well, they are grown ups expect for Pat!) and I want them to continue to get used to having a car so that by the time they can afford it, they would look at owning a car as an essential.Sort of make them get used to that standard of living so that they would aspire to at least maintain that lifestyle. Not sure if I am making sense. I felt I was running out of time to help mold and influence their lives. 

Is it because of the age I am currently in? I have no idea. I think I am in rather unique stage - I am in my early 40s and two of my sons are working, the third one is 20 and will soon be joining the workforce. Yesterday, I was actually shaking my head unbelievably thinking that my youngest son is about to go to college! Where did all the time go?

I keep thinking I spent so much time focused on other things and then suddenly realized whoa! they've grown up and there isn't much time to be a mom to them anymore.

There also isn't so much time to save enough money to buy the things we need when we retire.  And so I am in a sort of mild panic about the things I need to accomplish so I can settle down and ease into being the mom of adults, refocus from devoting energy into making sure they finish their studies and become good individuals into  planning for  retirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment